Thursday, August 9, 2012

Two days in a row!

All right, so I'm off to a better start than I was the LAST couple of times I said I was going to start writing more. We'll see how that goes.

I met with other teachers who teach one of the same courses as I do today, and we started planning a little more about the school year. I'm really happy that we seemed to be making some progress - the last time that we met, we talked a lot about all these things we wanted to do and change this year, but we didn't really get down to anything specific. This meeting, we actually talked about some specifics and now we have a fairly clear picture of what the semester's going to look like, which is nice.

There's still a lot to go, though... we're going to have to change around a lot, and with everything we're talking about adding, there's a lot of work that still needs to be done. I'm getting a little frustrated this year. I expected my first year of teaching to be hard. I expected the second year of teaching to be easier, but still hard. They both were. However, I also always thought that, once 'd been teaching for a few years, I would start to feel like I knew what I was doing. That has yet to happen, and with how much changes every year, I'm not sure if that's every going to happen. Granted, I feel a lot more confident and a lot more organized than I was when I first started teaching. However, I still feel like I'm starting over every year. This year especially...we're starting professional learning committees, we're switching the curriculum over to common core, and we're changing our evaluation system...I just feel like every time I even remotely start to know what I'm doing, something else new is thrown in. Between all that new stuff and grad school, I'm a little concerned about my ability to keep up this year. Hopefully it will work out, though.

I'm a little on information overload at the moment. Throughout the course of this summer, I spent about four weeks either at grad school or conferences. So I have so much new information and so many new ideas, but they amount to SO much that I'm having trouble organizing them and figuring out where to start.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment