So, Facebook is finally forcing me to get timeline. While that's a little annoying, it did prompt me to scroll through my Facebook wall, all the way until 2004 when I originally got Facebook. This started sparking memories, so I started looking at my old blogs and xanga entries and feeling a lot of nostalgia.
I came to a few conclusions by looking through my old blog entries (not from this blog; I realize I haven't posted much on this one).
1. I really had a great time in college, and I have some truly amazing friends. I knew this already, but it's nice to remind myself every once in awhile.
2. I used to write a lot, and this writing helped me work through things. I also could be genuinely funny at times in my writing.
3. I changed and did a LOT my freshman year of college.
I'm trying to figure out why I don't write so much anymore. Part of it is a time issue, of course; it's hard to fit everything in. Part of it is that I don't feel inspired to write, but I wonder a little if this is because I am a little out of practice. I think another part of it is that I don't have quite so much running through my mind anymore, though. Skimming through my old entries, I find a lot of entries that have me complaining of too much whirling around in my head. I still have lots of things whirling through my head on a pretty constant basis, but I am no longer trying to figure myself out; I'm no longer worried about Wes going away; I'm no longer defining myself in such narrow terms that any deviation from my personal definition freaks me out. So maybe I just don't need to write as much anymore.
On the other hand, I remember coming up with things when writing that I would have never come up with if I had just been sitting and thinking. I'm trying to determine if my lack of recent writing comes from my lack of inspiration, or if my lack of inspiration comes from the fact that I just haven't been writing and I'm out of practice. Don't get me wrong, I have written things, but they've been things like essays for class, not things that come out of my own head.
Based on this idea, I'm going to try to promise myself that I will write at least once a week this year. This will probably not happen - I regularly do things like this - but I will try. Maybe as I start to practice writing a little more, I'll re-inspire myself and continue discovering new things in my head.
Welcome back to the writing world! I know what you mean; I think we go through phases with writing. I feel like I haven't been able to come up with things lately, either. But, I'm glad you are writing again! :)
ReplyDelete